Communities Against Noise and Speed
Please find below an update on the activities by the CANS committee for October 2018:
- The meeting with George Hollingbery was completed in September and subsequently George sent a letter to all residents in the local area expressing his support to the cause. Our next action is to arrange a multi-agency meeting, probably local politicians, Highways Agency, Police, VOSA and any other responsible agencies, with the aim to create cross agency alignment and to initiate the building of action plans, and timetables, for each key area.
- The recently elected Hugh Lumby attended the committee meeting on 10th October and has committed to lend his support to the cause, with the immediate action to assist with facilitating the above multi-agency meeting.
- We have now agreed a three-pronged approach to try and resolve the issues:
- Better enforcement of the speed limit through the use of traffic cameras, average and mobile
- Improved enforcement of non-approved exhausts and number plates, with the possibility of legislation improvements
- Engagement with the motorbike community, contrary to the assumptions of some, CANS is not anti-motorcycles and recognise the vast majority of motorcyclists on the A32/A272 are as law-abiding as the rest of us. We want to engage them to work with us to try and apply peer pressure to find a resolution which benefits all parties.
- The BBC have been in contact with CANS because they are currently investigating the blight of motorcycle speed and noise in a number of areas across the UK. It is expected that during October they will be visiting the area to film and document the issues to raise wider awareness of the issues, and hopefully bring pressure to bear to improve legislation.
- It is vital all residents and road users continue to collect dashcam and video evidence of noise and dangerous road use, by any type of vehicle, so we can use this material at the “multi-agency” meeting. Please upload any material via the CANS Facebook page.
The Campaign Group
Find Communities Against Noise and Speed
High Street, West Meon, Petersfield, Hampshire, GU32 1LJ